The Chuadanga District of Bangladesh
Forming part of the Khulna administrative division in southwest Bangladesh, Chuadanga district is located within the vast Ganges Delta, with its main city resting on the bank of River Mathabhanga. Other rivers flowing through the district include the Bhairab, Chitra, Bhairab and Nabaganga. Home to almost a million people, and covering an area of more than 1,100 square kilometers, Chuadanga district has the Kushtia district of Bangladesh on it northeastern border, with Meherpur to the northwest, and Jhenaidaha to the south and southeast. The Nadia district in the state of West Bengal lies on the southwest border of Chuadanga district.
Greek historians describe the Chuadanga district as being part of the ancient kingdom of Gangaridai, the Sanskrit name meaning Nation on the River Ganges. The region was subject to a number of uprisings during the time of British rule, the first being the Wahabi Movement of 1831 and the last being the August Revolt, also known as the Quit India Movement, of 1942.
The region was the scene of more than a hundred battles between the Mukti Bahini pro-independence forces and the Pakistan Army during the Bangladesh Liberation War of 1971. Historical records reveal that Chuandanga was freed from the occupying Pakistan army on December 7 December 1971. Nine days later the invading army surrendered to the allied forces of the Indian Army and Mukti Bahini, refered to as the Mitro Bahini. Reminders of the conflict include two memorial monuments in the town of Chuadanga, as well as three mass graves at the local village of Dhopakhali.
The region also has a number of archeological sites, some of which date back to the early 11th century, such as the Gholdari Mosque. The historical village of Karpashdanga, located on the border of Bangladesh and West Bengal, had a large bazaar on the bank of the Bhairab river. As one of the oldest commercial centers, Karpashdanga was active from the Mughal era through to the era of British rule. The village of Karpashdanga is also known for being the refuge of rebel poet Kazi Nazrul Islam (1899-1976) at the time he was active in the Swadeshi Movement opposing British rule.