Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

THE HISTORY OF BANGLADESH

Collapse
X
 
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts

  • THE HISTORY OF BANGLADESH

    Bangladesh is a new state in an ancient land. It has been described by an American political scientist as "a country challenged by contradictions". On the face of it, the recent twists and turns of her history are often inconsistent. It is neither a distinct geographical entity, nor a well-defined historical unit. Nevertheless, it is the homeland of the ninth largest nation in the world whose gropings for a political identity were protracted, intense and agonizing. The key to these apparent contradictions lies in her history.

    Etymologically, the word Bangladesh is derived from the cognate "Vanga" which was first mentioned in the Hindu scripture Aitareya Aranyaka (composed between 500 B C and 500 A D). Legend has it that Bengal was first colonized by Prince Vanga, the son of King Bali and Queen Sudeshna of the Lunar dynasty. According to linguists, the roots of the term Vanga may be traced to languages in the adjoining areas. One school of linguists maintain that the word "Vanga" is derived from the Tibetan word "Bans" which implies "wet and moist". According to this interpretation, Bangladesh literally refers to a wetland. Another school is of the opinion that the term "Vangla" is derived from Bodo (aborigines of Assam) words "Bang" and "la" which connote "wide plains."
    ...______
    _/______\__
    |---ARMY---\================o
    |___________\______________
    =========================
    ((@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@))
    ((@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@))
    =========================


    "WHY DO PEOPLE WRITE THEIR WHOLE LIFE STORY IN A SIGNATURE"

  • #2
    yaaaaa!

    yep toooooooooooooo right.

    Comment


    • #3
      Bangladesh has a very long and intense history, who were know for their richis and prosperous land, they were part of a large empire and were one of the greatest civilisations. However the history of bangladesh has long been forgotten and untold, the country has been unrecognised, i mean bangladesh was one on the richest places in bharat, until the british and bangalis did invent yoga and nail vanish. Some history of bangladesh is of bhuddist and hindu culture, there empire and stories shouldn't be forgotten,they were also strongly part of the mongol empire, many other countries are still remembered and are associated with somethings. But now that bangladesh is, it is some how unrecognised.
      Even Bangladeshi resturats are associsted with being, if they weren't bangladesh would be more recognised.

      Comment


      • #4
        hi...... syletti ggonda byesab



        hey, goonda byesab

        i love and like goonda people. are you really
        original goonda.... or frauding people... by naming
        yourself.... goonda
        biztrust

        Comment


        • #5
          Re: hi...... syletti ggonda byesab

          Originally posted by biztrust


          hey, goonda byesab

          i love and like goonda people. are you really
          original goonda.... or frauding people... by naming
          yourself.... goonda
          biztrust
          WE SHOULD LINK UP SOMETIME
          Police- He rarely makes sense, often deviates off topic, and sometimes even gets banned, but he remains undefeated.

          Comment


          • #6
            Re: hi...... syletti ggonda byesab

            Originally posted by biztrust


            hey, goonda byesab

            i love and like goonda people. are you really
            original goonda.... or frauding people... by naming
            yourself.... goonda
            biztrust

            YES IAM WHATS UP WITH YOU
            ...______
            _/______\__
            |---ARMY---\================o
            |___________\______________
            =========================
            ((@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@))
            ((@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@))
            =========================


            "WHY DO PEOPLE WRITE THEIR WHOLE LIFE STORY IN A SIGNATURE"

            Comment


            • #7
              why shyletti.... why not Bangladeshee... ?



              hey, goondaa bhai

              are you ok ? do you think... people will like to
              love with goondas ?
              why you are proud of calling shyletti ? instead of..
              ..... BANGLADESHEE....

              can you give your good arguments that people are in
              need of goondas and love them..... please comment
              thanks.... biztrust

              Comment


              • #8
                Originally posted by SHYLETTI-GUNDAH-BYSAB


                Etymologically, the word Bangladesh is derived from the cognate "Vanga" which was first mentioned in the Hindu scripture Aitareya Aranyaka (composed between 500 B C and 500 A D). Legend has it that Bengal was first colonized by Prince Vanga, the son of King Bali and Queen Sudeshna of the Lunar dynasty. According to linguists, the roots of the term Vanga may be traced to languages in the adjoining areas. One school of linguists maintain that the word "Vanga" is derived from the Tibetan word "Bans" which implies "wet and moist". According to this interpretation, Bangladesh literally refers to a wetland. Another school is of the opinion that the term "Vangla" is derived from Bodo (aborigines of Assam) words "Bang" and "la" which connote "wide plains."
                Your Etymological description of the Word Bangla is completey inaccurate. What sources did you persue to come up with the basic elements that make up this word?, where did you search to find the origin amd tramsmission from one language to other? what resources did you use to identifye this words cognates in other languages?

                Dont just make assumptions, specially when you know what the word 'VANGA' means in Bangla.
                SHAOLIN!

                Comment


                • #9
                  history of bengal starting from 1000 BC (king ashoka's era)

                  http://tinyurl.com/8clbj


                  "For most of its history, the area known as Bangladesh was a political backwater--an observer rather than a participant in the great political and military events of the Indian subcontinent. Historians believe that Bengal, the area comprising present-day Bangladesh and the Indian state of West Bengal, was settled in about 1000 B.C. by Dravidian-speaking peoples who were later known as the Bang. Their homeland bore various titles that reflected earlier tribal names, such as Vanga, Banga, Bangala, Bangal, and Bengal. "

                  Comment


                  • #10
                    FAMILY HISTORY

                    I AM HOPING TO START TRACING FAMILY HISTORY FOR A FRIEND OF MINE, WHOSE PARENTS WERE ORIGINALLY FROM SYLHET. IS THERE ANYWHERE I CAN REACH OR CONTACT TO START A SEARCH? IS THERE A RECORDS OFFICE I CAN CONTACT?

                    MANY THANKS

                    Comment


                    • #11
                      Andy your best bet is to GO TO SYLHET and ask around!

                      and hey goonda bai - what goondami do you do? (only out of interest not affliated to any anti-goonda organisations...!!)

                      Comment


                      • #12
                        Originally posted by SHYLETTI-GUNDAH-BYSAB View Post
                        Bangladesh is a new state in an ancient land. It has been described by an American political scientist as "a country challenged by contradictions". On the face of it, the recent twists and turns of her history are often inconsistent. It is neither a distinct geographical entity, nor a well-defined historical unit. Nevertheless, it is the homeland of the ninth largest nation in the world whose gropings for a political identity were protracted, intense and agonizing. The key to these apparent contradictions lies in her history.

                        Etymologically, the word Bangladesh is derived from the cognate "Vanga" which was first mentioned in the Hindu scripture Aitareya Aranyaka (composed between 500 B C and 500 A D). Legend has it that Bengal was first colonized by Prince Vanga, the son of King Bali and Queen Sudeshna of the Lunar dynasty. According to linguists, the roots of the term Vanga may be traced to languages in the adjoining areas. One school of linguists maintain that the word "Vanga" is derived from the Tibetan word "Bans" which implies "wet and moist". According to this interpretation, Bangladesh literally refers to a wetland. Another school is of the opinion that the term "Vangla" is derived from Bodo (aborigines of Assam) words "Bang" and "la" which connote "wide plains."
                        Excellent! This is really something new about Bangladesh for me. Thanks for sharing this nice post. You can find here something special about Bangladesh
                        Last edited by admin; 28 January 2013, 08:22. Reason: typing mistake

                        Comment

                        Working...
                        X