Go Back   Bangladesh.com Discussion Forum > Suggestions > Feedback and Suggestions

Notices

admn

LinkBack Thread Tools Rating: Thread Rating: 2 votes, 4.50 average. Display Modes
Old 20th January 2004, 21:00

Quote:
Originally posted by Mahbuba
Hey Jodyraye, I had this stupid argument with my boyfriend about Acetaminophen and salicylates. One being Bayer's Aspirin and the other being the tylenol brand. He told me that when he had worked at a drug store name Eckerds, they called tylenol, excedrin, aleve, advil, and such aspirins. I told him that i was 100% sure that aspirin has nothing to do with tylenol. How in the world am i going to make him agree. He said, "even though you are my girl and you a med student and everything doesn't mean you always have to be right". But, I'm so sure I am right because that is what I had learned at school. Please tell me I'm right.
Tylenol : Acetaminophen

Advil : Ibuprophin

Neither has anything to do with aspirins...they all try to cure the same symptoms more or less but in different ways and they are DEFINETELY not the same thing.

It's funny how we feel so much but we cannot say a word;
We are screaming inside, but we can't be heard.

- Sarah McLachlan
Old 21st January 2004, 03:38

Talking the ladies are right

Yes Sweetiepie and Mahbuba, you are both right.
Aspirin has many uses and its most important as far as I can see is in the prevention of platelet aggregation. Therefore bloodclots have a harder time occluding already narrowed coronary arteries during a heart attack.Thus, aspirin (salicylic acid) is probably prescribed more for the prevention of heart disease than for anything else. It is also used to lower a fever and reduce inflamation. But it has been proven to reduce the risk of colon cancer. More is being discovered about aspirin each year.
Tylenol or acetaminophen is used to relieve pain and fever but works in a completely different way. It is metabolized in the liver. Tylenol is very hard on the liver. Today the most common cause of acute liver failure is Tylenol, or acetaminophen overdose. It has not been shown to have any beneficial effects on the heart. Yet it is preferred during cases of the flu especially in young children or babies because aspirin combined with certain flu viruses can result in Reyes disease.
Ibuprofen (Motrin and other brand names) work again in a completely different way. Ibuprofen can adversely affect the kidneys. It is used alot to reduce inflamation as well as pain.
They are placed in the same section of the pharmacy because they all are over the counter pain relievers.

"Death is not the biggest fear we have; our biggest fear is taking the risk to be alive." Don Miguel Ruiz
Old 23rd January 2004, 04:14

Yes Sweetiepie, you are right; that is exactly what I am trying to say that Tylenol and Advil are both the same and they have nothing to do with Aspirin. I am saying that too, but my ex-boyfriend is trying to say that Aspirin is same as Advil and Tylenol. Yeah they are not the same thing, but both advil and tylenol reduces fever and relieves pain though. So does aspirin but aspirin is used for inflammatory needs also and it can be eaten with food, not like advil and tylenol which can be eaten with water only.

Jodyraye, I told him that already but he just refuses to answer. I don't know which dumb pharmacist gave him the wrong idea about it. He tells me that he takes aspirin everyday. How sick is that.

Yeah they are in the same section as tylenol, but I don't know why Eckerd's drug store would put aspirin in the same section as drugs such as tylenol.

Old 24th January 2004, 23:40

Quote:
Originally posted by Mahbuba

Yeah they are in the same section as tylenol, but I don't know why Eckerd's drug store would put aspirin in the same section as drugs such as tylenol.

Perhaps they were short of space Your Eminence Why don't you walk on in there to Eckerd's and tell them that what they are doing is wrong, and why....

....And take me with ya
Old 25th January 2004, 09:26

[quote]Originally posted by Marawak_3
Quote:
[i]Perhaps they were short of space Your Eminence Why don't you walk on in there to Eckerd's and tell them that what they are doing is wrong, and why....
....And take me with ya
ha ha ha mara.

My boyfriend was the one who told me WHO USED TO WORK AT ECKERD'S.

He told me that they had it under it because the pharmacist said they should have it under it.

Now, he tells me over the phone that "you are right, hunny bun, aspirin is from bayer's and tylenol is something else".
Ugh! He should listen to me first instead of putting himself out there and embarrasing himself.
Old 17th January 2013, 13:59

Wow, Angel Eyes and Make it Legal spent many hours enjoying this thread. Good for them for not having anything else better to do. LmFAo.
Old 19th January 2013, 07:22

Apparently you also had nothing better to do

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: